18 March 2017

Kuwait

A cheap flight, with a six hour layover in Kuwait....okay, I can do that. I'll survive.

I spent the time people watching, chatting with other travelers, reading, writing....I noticed an obvious lack of women...most of the women I saw were covered up (those who weren't were in transit like me....but these were few). Most of the men were dressed all in white, head to toe....sometimes people stared at me, with my pink and blonde hair, hot pink hoodie, and clearly looking out of place. But I'm a friendly face. Sometimes they talk to me. Sometimes they ignore me.

I tried to leave the airport - was going to head to the souq. But they said I couldn't leave. So it's here. 

It's almost like America. There is a Shack Shack, a Starbucks. There are some clearly American men - they all look like former military, prob here in Kuwait or the Gulf, working in the oil industry. They look like they took the wrong exit on the higway back home....dressed the same, acting the same. It must be weird to live in a culture that is so different from back home, so you try to keep your home culture because that's what your coworkers have in common...

It reminds me that we're all in transit. Even if we're not actually going anywhere, we're in transit of our lives.

No comments: