19 June 2010

Run at the Gunks

I was trying to rearrange all these photos and put captions but Blogger was being stupid. These are photos of a terrific trail run I had last Sunday. Ray and I drove up and met Jeff (who provided the maps and wonderful directions) and Crista (who ran with us the first 4 miles before she smartly backed off - the girl needs to take it easy right now!). I was so bummed that it was so misty and foggy (I kept telling Ray, "This is a spot with the most amazing view." And he was like, "Yeah yeah, I hear that again.") and it rained on  and off but we still got a solid 34 miles in. The trails were beautiful, muddy and even wet (notice a few photos of Jeff and I standing in the water). There's something so special about trail running - most of the times, it was just running and the trails, step, step, step, breathe, view, dirt, chipmunk, trail, gorgeousness. Ray and I discovered an early-blooming blueberry patch and snacked on them (yum!) and it was great to bond with a friend in a new way. Ray got to serve as my advice columnist, listening to love problems and he gave great advice. Of course! I always find the older (well, Ray's only 9 years older) ultrarunning men have great advice. Like Ray K. And random strangers. It's funny how if we were at a party, I doubt I ever would have told him all these things...but when you're ultrarunning, all the rules go out the door.

Standing in water

4 comments:

TonyP said...

Cool picks and great that you got in 34 miles!

KevOnLeTrail said...

hi Cherie, lurker here.

Interesting post as always. As an aside, I was wondering: what are your thoughts on your Nathan vest? I'm on the verge of investing (heh) in one, but I'm taking an informal poll, first.

Kevin

cherie said...

Kevin,
I love my vest - tons of storage, holds lots of water. My only complaint is that my frame is small and it tends to slip a bit while running. (It is the women's one, too, which is supposed to be smaller.)

Good luck.
--Cherie

KevOnLeTrail said...

I'm small, too, so fit is a concern. 5'3". Maybe I'll get the lady vest.
Cool, thanks for the insight!