23 October 2003

REVIEW
MY JOB


I know it's not a real review, but everyone keeps asking how my job is. Well, it's good. So I figured I'd review it.

MY JOB, or WHAT I DO:
What I do...I'm a library assistant. I do stuff including photocopy articles to be put in the archives, file stuff, sort the mail and log it into our magazine database, catalog books, work on projects and update the magazine archives. It's good; not the super-perfect library job I was seeking but that probably doesn't exist and this is a great job that's a good learning experience for library school. And it pays well.

THE COMMUTE:

It sucks. I work at the bottom of Manhattan; I take the 6 to Bowling Green or the E to WTC or the A to Fulton; either way, it requires two or three trains. It takes about 40 minutes. Yes, I really hate the G train. But it's not so bad. I'm thinking of that studio in the East Village that could've been mine, how nice it would be....ah, but even with a 15 minute commute, I'd still have roaches. Yuck!

MY COWORKERS AND BOSS:

They're all nice. Very VERY NICE. They're good to me, especially my boss; the idea that if I'm good to you, you're good to me. Etc. I really love librarians. They're always the coolest, you know that. Just think of Mary in Party Girl.

THE LOCATION:
Different from the commute; it's right down by Wall Street. I pass the Stock Exchange on my lunch hour and can see the ferry from my job. It's a very corporate-y environment, a much different vibe from Midtown or Chelsea, where I've usually worked. But it doesn't seem as stressed or cranky as Midtown; I almost like it better. But yeah, Chelsea's much better. Food is $$, as anywhere else, but it's not bad.

THE BUILDING:
Ultra-modern with super-$$ architecture that may not be function, but attractive. VERY different from Naropa (not to mention that it's corporate...hahah, who'd've think? Cheryl is corporate! But the setting is stylish and durable and comfortable. The ergonomics!
Another plus: I can see the water from my window! Yay! And if you walk down the hall, you can see the Statue of Liberty. By my desk, there are huge windows--I get lots and lots of sunlight and like to stare out the window.

THE ATTIRE:
Casual corporate.

A WEIRD FACT:
The company I work for uses laptops---barely any desktops. You lock your laptop in a drawer at night. Makes easy for meetings..."well, let me just find that file here, I have it on my computer."


ANY QUESTIONS? APPLY AND MAYBE YOU'LL GET HIRED!





No comments: