17 April 2011

Because a Long Run Is No Longer Simple

I'm far from the time when I can just grab a bottle of water and hit the roads for a long run. Ultrarunning has required much preparation for a long run. Sometimes I feel like I'm packing for a weekend trip when headed up to do an eight hour run. Some things I pack include:

  • Gels - I include one for every hour, plus a few extras, in case a certain flavour suddenly tastes revolting, or as the case was yesterday, one of my gels was expired and tasted gross
  • Power gel blasts, Honey stinger chews, sports jelly beans, some sort of chewy electrolyte snack - I have a few packets of these. I find the gels get to me quicker (in terms of calories), but sometimes, with nausea, it's impossible to eat gels.
  • Mints. I like Lifesaver Wint-o-Green, but everyone has different tastes. You can also have ginger sucking candies if you have a history of nausea and tummy troubles, which I do.
  • Immodium. See above.
  • Advil.
  • Inhaler.
  • Hand warmers, just in case it's really cold
  • Sunscreen, to prevent sunburn
  • Pretzels - because I like a little solid food
  • Cookies - I often pack some cookies or animal crackers. Both these and pretzels serve when nausea is too much for the gels or the chews.
  • Post-run snacks. I included a Banana Nut Odwalla bar in my bag. 
  • Water - A gallon jug to refill our bottles. We often hide this at a specified point halfway, or you can keep it in the car and do as we did yesterday and do loops to your car.
  • Coconut Water. Because it's a great way to hydrate, get electrolyes, and a little calories. I like Zico best.
  • Endurolytes. Beause we all need some electrolytes when we're sweating this much.
  • My Nathan fuel vest.
  • Tissues, for when I had to pee in the woods 
  • A bagel with PBJ for before I ran
What I wear:
  • Visor
  • Sunglasses
  • Bandanna around neck
  • Sports bra
  • Technical tee 
  • Long sleeved t-shirt
  • Running jacket
  • Gloves
  • Running skirt
  • Running pants (I was optimistic on Saturday that I'd be removing my running tights but that didn't happen)
  • Running underwear
  • Running socks
  • Saucony trail shoes
  • Dirty Girl Gaiters
  • Body glide

No comments: