30 November 2012

Cajun Coyote 100 Miler 2012 Tomorrow...and I am a bundle of nerves!

So I ran 104.87 miles at Croatan 24 three weeks ago. I was feeling pretty good. Paced Wayne to almost a PR at Brooklyn Marathon, paced Mary in NYRR 60k, ran a decent 5k while talking the whole time. I ran slow on Saturday, feeling sluggish but managing 2.5 hours. After, Wayne and I had coffee with our running club, and ran back. I was baking cake and straightening up the house when suddenly - what the hell? My left hamstring (which has never hurt before, it was my right one that hurt) was suddenly aching. Ouch.

Sunday and Monday I started my runs slow and the pain eased by the end, but I still cut the mileage and took it easy. Tuesday it felt better after a mile so I started a tempo run at half-marathon pace with my running club - after a mile and a half something just HURT - and I turned around and ran slowly home, worried like crazy. I went to the physical therapist who pronounced it nothing bad. I still worried.

I haven't run since then. I've done some walking around New Orleans and my B&B in New Orleans had a hot tub, so I spent some time in it, reading, relaxing. It doesn't hurt at all...but I don't know what will happen tomorrow. For the first time (besides my first 100), I am actively worried I won't finish. I want to finish. I came all the way down here, it's the least I can do. I don't want to really hurt myself.

I made a promise. If I'm abnormally limping, I will stop.

Let's hope I am not. Let's hope I don't get eaten by armadillos in tomorrow's Cajun Coyote 100 Miler.

No comments: