16 March 2008

little moments of peace

i think part of what we live for in this world are those little moments of peace. my old teacher called it "moments of zen."

like when i was in a meeting with my boss, and spontaneously glanced out the window over her shoulder. this enormous boat came by--but it was being moved by a tiny little tugboat. she was blathering on about something that seemed immensely important, but just seeing this little precious moment reminded me of how much world there is outside of our confined walls in our office.

or the other day, when after a good 8 miler, i was running home, thinking about how thirsty i was, when movement in the sky above me caught my eye. a plane was flying low, probably to land at laguardia. however, much closer to me were many birds, soaring and flying over the ugly pulaski bridge. i was struck at how beautiful they were when they soared, and stared as they flap-flap-flap-flap-flap-flap-sooooooooooooooooar. it was so beautiful and pulled me out of my running reverie to watch the beauty filling my sky.

and these are the moments that we live for.

No comments: