27 August 2006

nyc inaugural half marathon!

i ran the nyc inaugural half marathon today--and must admit i had a brilliant time doing so! i woke up just after 4am (an hour before my alarm was to go off, because i couldn't sleep). i got ready (hot pink shorts, magenta sports bra, ponytail, four barrettes (two on each side), sweatband and spent the rest of the time before my friends picked me up. at the start, we stretched, waited in long lines for the port-a-potties, and went to the start. after a bit of confusion of where the corrals were, we lined up. in line, we joked around and stretched.

the race itself was fun. i ran most of it with cara (who is about my pace, a bit quicker maybe), and my foot didn't hurt. we did a loop and then some around central park, and then ran down 7th avenue, across 42nd st (and we all got chills running through times square, HOW AMAZING!), then down the west side highway...it was brilliant! around mile 10, cara left to run a bit faster, and i finished in 1:47. i was pleased with this time, as the past three weeks i have been facing injuries and have run very little. i'm now a big fan of cross-training--prevents injury and keeps you in decent-enough shape.

after, we hung out, had brunch and i realized how nice it is to hang out with runners.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! It sounds like you are making progress toward your goal to do the full Marathon. Keep up the good work. I'll be cheering for you.
How do you feel today?
BostonBill

cherie said...

Bill, I feel good, though my ankle still isn't 100%. I'll be okay; I'm strong, and I'm cross-training so I don't burn out. Friday will be a biking day for me! :)

cherie said...

mark! what's your email? if you put it as a comment i wont post it (yr email)--i can publish them or not. btw how did you find my blog? yay!