25 April 2010

Inspiration

Iliana and I went to watch the Sri Chinmoy 6 and 10 day races in Flushing, Queens on Friday. It was pretty amazing - they have a whole mini-village set up, with kitchens, showers, port-a-potties, dorms w/ cots, tents, tables for the runners' supplies. The course is a 1 mile course around paths and parking lots of Flushing Meadows Park. You're rather close to the Grand Central, but also to the lake. It's weird - I never thought I would like doing such a race.

On Friday, I ended up hanging out with one of the runners for 7 laps or so. Barbara was on the first day of the 6 day race, and we chatted about the course, running, surgeries, ex-boyfriends, anesthesia, life, love, multi-day races, taping feet, our lives. It was pretty amazing to be out there and get into the pace. I haven't been so inspired in a while - I really want to do this race.

It doesn't sound lovely - a mile loop for 6 or 10 days? But honestly, it was really a beautiful and amazing thing, and I saw the way the runners dug deep inside themselves for the courage and the strength to push on.

1 comment:

it's all about pace said...

SOunds interesting but after a few hours I think I'd go batsh*t crazy =:-)