16 April 2010

Life or Death....

My Papa (grandfather) said to my mother, "I want to die. I've had a long life. I'm happy. I want to die."

Selfishly, I don't want him to die - he gives so much happiness to me and many others who loves him (and admittedly, aggravation to my grandma), but my mother asked me, "Why shouldn't someone be able to decide when they are done? If they've lived a full life, why can't they choose to stop?"

I am not making anyone's decisions on what to do with their lives. I don't want anyone to have unnecessary suffering or unhappiness, and if people can't do anything to alleviate pain - well, people need to live their lives as they see fit.

That said, if my papa did take his life, I would collapse into tears. 

Right now, I'll continue to cherish each and every beautiful moment of my life -- runs, a smile from a strange on the street, a delicious cup of tea. I'm looking forward to seeing my papa again, whenever he is strong enough to make it back to NY or I am able to fly down to see him.

No comments: