16 April 2010

Learning something big...

I'm excited/dreading the Boston Marathon...I'm dreading b/c I know I haven't done enough speed workouts. I ran a 100miler 3 weeks ago, so am still in that slower mode. I also have recently dealt w/ two injuries - top of my foot pain and I'm still dealing w/ some knee pain (though it luckily hasn't been bothering me while running) so I've had to scale back my training a bit more than I would have liked, and took off too many days.

I've never felt like this about a race before. I'm trying to feel excited, but I'm mostly nervous now. I just don't want to feel horrid and slow and miserable.

Nelson wrote me some sage advice, and I will do my best to heed it:

I think you are going to learn something big... It amazes me that for someone I admire so much I hang out with so little... Just run! It is what you like to do anyway. Slow? Well then see the sites! Fast? Then just see a blur! 3:30? Then just be in the pack! 2:10? Ha, to funny to think of anything... You are wonderful and amazing, you have great friends... What you do in Boston is a side issue because we will all run Boston vicariously through/with you...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were running Boston! must be so exciting. That is, it would be so exciting if you weren't dealing with all the complexities that go into doing awesome at a recent 100-miler. But here's the good news - you'll be having fun again (and probably surprising yourself by doing really well) once you get starter, probably before you even get out of Hopkinton.

dsr said...

if i had one more leg cramp--you would of passed me in BOSTON--kraz-3:51