14 December 2010

Running Wild

I must admit, running's my thing. Obvious. But I do other things...so I can run. I'd prefer to just run a few hours a day, but to prevent injuries, I mix it up. People always ask me, knowing that I run ultras, "How are your knees?" My answer: "Spectacular."

Here's what I do:
  • I run 5-6 days a week.
  • I cross-train -- elliptical and rowing machine. I'd like to do 3 times a week, but time usually puts me at just 1-2 times per week.
  • I lift weights. Boring. But my iPod, and the fact that I can lift more with my legs than most people at the gym, pushing me along.
  • I do some barefoot running. I mix it up. My form is heaps better now due to barefoot running. Winter makes it hard, but since I incorporated regular barefoot running into my routine (Vibrams in the city, barefoot when I can hit the beach), I'm a forefoot runner and feel a lot stronger. 
 What else I need to do:
  • More core training
  • More yoga
  • More sleep
  • More speed workouts
  • Run daily runs at a faster pace

1 comment:

it's all about pace said...

just put me down for a "ditto" on the "What I need to do" front. :-)