01 January 2011

Feliz Ano Nuevo!






New Year's was great. It was probably my best New Year's Eve to date. I arrived in Leon at 830 in the morning after an early morning get-the-hell-out-of-Managua-minibus-ride. I met up with some cool people at my hostel, not your ordinary backpackers, but some really rad people. We wandered around Parque Central, looking at the different vendors' wares and foods, checking out the different people's outfits (teenage girls were in full-on prom dresses!), drinking flor de cana y fresca. We ended up on our street which was all Nicaraguans and 7 backpackers and so much fun! I spent much of the night dancing with a seventy-something woman covered in sequins who danced from 7pm until 2am! I loved her - I want to be her when I grow up.

At the stroke of midnight, someone lights an effigy of a man doused in gasoline on fire, with some fireworks, of course. There was a long explosion, and it was brilliantly fun! Everyone was shouting and clapping. The radio station across the street blaring music, and we kept dancing - the crazy backpackers and the locals. It was really a different, awesome way to ring in the New Year.

No comments: